The August bank holiday weekend; the one that normally signals the start of the Autumn as the weather tends to reflect the signs Autumn is appearing. I am delighted to say 2017 seems to have bucked that trend, and we have had a glorious sunny weekend. (I have to point out though we are definitely owed it, the UK Summer this year has been somewhat of a wash out).
We have wanted a herb garden and veggie patch in our house for ages, but being in a new build with a smaller garden it seemed impossible. This weekend we embraced the crafty and got creative with the aspiration of making something. The joys of the end of the bank holiday though, we were on a budget after the kids ate the rest of it (literally- all I have heard the Summer holidays is, “what can I eat next??”!).
I had a pot of paint left over from when I revamped the kids Wendy house a month ago, and we saw someone was giving away pallets on a local selling site so we popped and got a couple. A trip to the Poundshop for some weed resistant sheeting (£3 for a huge roll!), and we got started.
We sanded the pallets down by hand just to make sure that there were not any loose edges which could splinter. We used a tin of B and Q Garden Colours in Baltic; as I said before we had already used this tin to paint the Wendy house. There was plenty left to paint two pallets so it does go quite a long way for 0.75 litres. It was also cheaper than brands I have used previously to paint garden wood at £7 a tin and I didn’t notice a huge difference in quality. We had a keen little helper so we set to work painting the pallets.
It didn’t take us too long to paint the two pallets with all hands on deck. We then got the weed resistant fabric and cut it into thick strips and made it into little pouches which fit in the main 3 boards of the pallet, with a well hanging below (See photos below). We had space therefore for 6 little wells. We lined them up so they were little wells and tacked the fabric into place with small tacks we had around the edge of the pocket that falls naturally in between the three main boards that run along the middle horizontally and vertically. We tacked them enough to be strong enough to fill with compost, which is what we did next. We then popped to Asda and bought a couple of different herbs, such as Basil for just £0.70 each.
I then made some DIY Stencils using the gorgeous Cricut Explore I gifted myself for my birthday a couple of years ago. We just used the font Stardos Stencil, and created some little labels.
We went along the main edges of one of the pallets and stencilled with some light grey paint with “Herb” one side, and “Garden” the other. We then gave each little Herb in our garden its own little label. We then screwed through and attached them to the wall/fence, we didn’t want them toppling over on top of the little ones so this was a must.
Just over £10 including the compost and the herbs, and we have a gorgeous handmade little Herb garden. Ideal little project for the whole family!